"My Citroën Méhari ran smooth during the long trip from Amsterdam and was in a 

much better shape than I and probably happy to be back home in France. 

  As I, with my portfolio, entered the city of Lyon in rush hour, the Citroën 

was surrounded by all its relatives."


In 1968, René Perrin started a small ad agency in Lyon naming it Euro Advertising.

At the time, his wife Hélène was the creative director. 

In the mid 1970s, with creative director Alain Bouldouyre, it started to compete with the 

big agencies in Paris. Euro Advertising ended up with offices throughout Europe.

Some years later, it became EuroTSG formed by Denis Troux, Saillard and an unknown investor.

 Not long after, Denis sold it to JWT.  

Then, Paris ad agency RSCG (Roux, Séguéla, Caysac, Goudard) 

merged with EuroCom in 1991 and was renamed EuroRSCG. 

Since 1996 it’s part of the Havas group. The name Euro Advertising fell in complete oblivion. 



Euro Advertising at Place Grande Rue St. Clair.




Emmanuel Yalopoulos in 1968.
I met this great Art Director from Greece on my first day at Euro Advertising.



"You like a petit Macon?" said a cheerful voice. I turned around.

It was copywriter Marius entering the cozy terrace at

the Bar de Terrasse. I'd just killed a café with a couple of croissants.

It was around 9.30 a.m. when Marius sat down on the chair next to me.

"We're late again for work." he said

while trying to get the waitress' attention.

The sound of Nina Simone's 'Don't let me be understood'

was playing on the jukebox inside the bar.

The Bar de Terrasse was right across the small boulevard facing

Euro Advertising's nine story building

and we both had an amazing view of the Rhône.

The sound of the giant river was better than elevator music.

Marius ordered a couple of Macon wines called

'Petit Macon' and we started talking about French politics,

the new Montabert print campaign and more French bulshit.

"I like one too, si'l vous plait." interrupted a voice.

It was CD Hélène Perrin. She joined our table.

"I'll get it." said Marius as he got up and went inside the bar.

I offered Hélène a cigarette and lit it. She was staring at me.

I lit my Gitane. Hélène was still staring at me.

She finally said something. "I got news for you, Martèn."

"You're giving me a raise?" I asked while staring at her.

Marius was back and served the wine like a waiter.

"Merci. No not yet." said Hélène.

I said, "Merde." (meaning Shit) Marius cracked up.

"I found you a writer." she said.

"You must be kidding. Really?" I jumped up and embraced

madame Perrin like she was my lover. Marius cracked up again.

With a blushing face, CD Hélène drank her wine in one shot,

got up and left without saying a word.

"She likes you very much." said Marius.

"What do you mean, Marius? Me or my ads?"








A faded 1976 Polaroid. Alain Bouldouyre shot me in front of the just plastered Gimm billboard.





All Euro Advertising Lyon employees were invited one day to a 'Picnic' celebrating 10 years of the agency.

On July 19, 1973, we all took a touring bus,then an old steam train to the charming village of Lamastre,

South of Lyon and had a splendid lunch with lots of wine.

We all got stonefaced and I was dancing with a large breasted waitress who couldn’t resist kissing me.

For the occasion, CD Alain Bouldouyre redesigned the cover of Lyon’s newspaper and wrote some funny copy.

He’d added my usual sarcasm, taking a piss at France.








The 1977 New Year's 'card' license plate created by CD Alain Bouldouyre.

A 1978 photo of all the employees of Euro Advertising. Big thanks to Alain Bouldouyre for sharing.

1980: CD Alain Bouldouyre makes fun of employees by imitating ad magazine Stratégies.

1990 poster for Biennale de la danse created by Euro TSG Lyon.



An 2012 interview with Alain Bouldouyre by Voyageurs du Monde.

An article appearing in InterMedia Magazine, September 25, 2013.

This blog is dedicated to Alain Bouldouyre.
And thanks to all those Frenchies who made working in advertising a pleasure and worth living.


Comments